In-House Legal Counsel
In-House Legal Counsel
Posted on: October 2, 2023
Salary: Based on Experience
Location: Pogue Construction Company | McKinney, TX
Reports To: President
Position Type: Full Time
Applications Accepted By: Until position is filled
Pogue Construction Company
1512 Bray Central Dr. #300
McKinney, TX 75069
Education/Experience: Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited law school. 3-7 years’ experience as a practicing attorney, experience in construction law preferred.
Summary: The In-House Counsel at Pogue Construction is responsible for conducting research and providing sound legal advice for a wide range of legal matters relevant to the company’s operations and projects. This role involves ensuring legal compliance, mitigating legal risk, and representing the company in legal proceedings. They play a vital role in protecting the company’s legal rights and maintaining its reputation in the construction industry.
- Stay updated with relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards to ensure the company’s compliance and minimize risks
- Develop and implement compliance policies and procedures
- Identify, assess, and manage legal risks associated with projects contractual risks, insurance requirements, and potential liabilities
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of contracts including owner contracts, subcontracts, vendor agreements, and consulting agreements
- Ensure the contracts are properly executed, accurately reflect the company’s interest, and comply with applicable laws and regulations
- Identify and mitigate legal risks associated with contract terms and conditions
- Provide guidance on regulatory issues, environmental regulations, occupational health and safety (OSHA), and other compliance matters.
- Manage and resolve disputes and claims that arise including negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and if necessary, litigation.
- Provide guidance on ethics, conflicts of interest, and compliance with the company’s code of conduct
- Assist with internal investigations and recommend appropriate actions when necessary
- Promote legal awareness by conducting training sessions on legal matters relevant to the construction industry
- Support with company owners personal legal affairs
- In depth knowledge of construction contracts
- Strong negotiation, drafting, and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in an fast paced environment
- Sound judgement and the ability to make decisions in complex legal situations.
- Meet all assigned deadlines
- Learn and Grow under the leadership of management
- Team Player
- Communicate – Openly, Honestly, and Frequently
- Internal and external customer service